Contrary to popular belief, marijuana was once considered a very lethal drug with consequences similar to heroin or cocaine in the United States. We now know that marijuana has both advantages and drawbacks. If you need immediate help with marijuana addiction, contact Skyward Center today.
Recreational and Medical Marijuana
There has been a remarkable movement in opinions against marijuana in the recent decade. There are eight states where it is legal to use for recreational purposes and 29 states for therapeutic purposes. Marijuana is widely regarded as harmless by most people nowadays. For many patients, the drug has been a medical miracle. Although weed is legal in many states, it may be addictive and lead to various harmful repercussions. As an alternative to benzodiazepines and opioids, medical marijuana has several advantages. Let’s examine those advantages and disadvantages.
Marijuana legalization is popular with the general public in the United States. 91% of Americans approve the decriminalization of cannabis. Only 31% feel it should be authorized for recreational use, while 60% say it should be legal for both medicinal and recreational reasons.
Numerous health advantages are connected to medical marijuana use, including:
- Chronic pain. Pain caused by nerve injury can be alleviated by marijuana, which has anti-neuropathic properties.
- Nausea and vomiting. In the case of nausea and vomiting, medical marijuana may be of assistance. Studies have shown that cannabis can decrease chemotherapy-induced vomiting to almost nil.
- Loss of appetite due to illnesses like HIV/AIDS and some cancers can be treated with marijuana.
- Paralysis and multiple sclerosis patients with tight muscles may benefit from marijuana’s muscle relaxant properties.
Medical marijuana has several advantages, including the following:
- It’s all-natural: Cannabis has already been used therapeutically for millennias.
- Less harmful. Some medicines, such as morphine and oxycodone, can be harmful. For example, some people may utilize it as an alternative to opioids in treating pain. Since they are highly addictive, opioids are rarely prescribed for lengthy periods to treat chronic pain.
- Getting high isn’t necessary to have fun. As more research is done, researchers identify the advantages of the many compounds in cannabis. These components, like CBD, can be utilized to treat conditions without the psychoactive effects associated with THC.
- Wide range of application methods. You don’t have to smoke marijuana to get the advantages of it. Access to items such as CBD oil and a variety of non-smoking products is now available.
Despite its numerous benefits, marijuana has some downsides. The following are some of the arguments offered by those who reject it:
- Drug dependence and misuse are real dangers associated with marijuana.
- There is some evidence that chronic marijuana use impairs one’s short-term memory.
- Lung damage: Smoking any drug, whether cigarettes or cannabis, can cause lung cell damage. Lung cancer has been connected to marijuana usage, as well.
- Excessive usage might impair your capacity to think clearly.
- Accidents: Marijuana use impairs driving ability and increases the risk of a collision.
Skyward Will Get You the Addiction Treatment You Deserve
It is advisable to seek help from a professional if you are battling marijuana addiction. A treatment program may be necessary if you want to quit smoking marijuana. Skyward Treatment Center in Houston offers a wide range of therapeutic options, including the following:
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Inpatient and Outpatient treatment
For more information about treatment alternatives, please contact Skyward Center now.